What’s emotional intelligence coaching based executive coaching?
Emotional Intelligence coaching (EQ coaching) combines the best of professional executive coaching solutions and takes it to another level of performance. Executive coaching is now proving itself powerful at building success and fulfilment at the highest levels within organisations. Based on a trusted relationship between coach and client it builds a huge range of competencies including self-belief, motivation, self-awareness, communication skills and resilience.
Emotional intelligence coaching brings awareness that not only reveals the unique working of your emotional realm but also uncovers your un-tapped potential and shows you how to achieve more. It's powerful personal leadership coaching.
EQ coaching builds personal skills from your core by showing you what good looks like both 'emotionally' and practically. It brings together tried and tested techniques and models (below).
More about EQ coaching solutions
EQ Coaching Models
Emotional intelligence coaching is a profound personal development process and strategy that builds skills that matter and sustainable personal growth. Working with EQ is also fascinating because it's driven by the most important physical mechanism of human consciousness, your realm of emotions, and works with or underpins the following techniques;
- Emotional resilience - stress management techniques
- Executive coaching -practical skills for goal attainment
- Positive Psychology - motivation and well-being
- Mindfulness - way of being for success and wellbeing
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming - behaviours & language of success
- EQ Testing -
- EQ-i 2.0 &
- Advanced Relationship Testing (A.R.T.) coaching models
Gimmack's 'EQ Relationship Coaching Model'
Emotional Intelligence coaching benefits
Emotional intelligence coaching works for both executive coaching and life coaching contexts. It is a personal development regime as practical or developmental as you need. It focuses on and builds a huge range of life-skills and areas that benefit both personally and professionally. It's your confidential space to share desires, beliefs & dreams and mould them into practical goals and taking action. Free of judgement & highly supportive, here are just a few coaching benefits;
- A fine tuning of your listening and feedback skills
- More accomplished public speaking
- Speaking with more confidence–in groups and one-2-one
- Enhanced rapport-building skills
- A better understanding of how body language, language and emotions communicate
- Improved reading of people
- Improved influencing skills
- Practical skills for more engaging and long-lasting relationships
- Building of stakeholder awareness - improved strategic view
- Become firm but compassionate leader
- Uncovers toolkit of skills for managing up, across and down
- More effectively avoid or deal with conflict and difficult conversations
- Uncover insight for strategic career assessment and development
- Clear frustrations and blocks
- Clarify most appropriate actions to succeed
- Finely hone understanding of what motivates you
- Professional sounding board to talk through key issues & decisions, confidentially
- Build your reputation or charisma
- Building your sense of calm and presence (mindfulness)
- Building your practice for creating greater awareness and self-management
- Building self-confidence & encouraging working to strengths
- Revealing the hidden allowing awareness, adaption & growth
- Uncovering and overcoming limiting beliefs
- Building your emotional resilience and managing stress
- Taking best care of your health and what’s important to you
- A thorough tactical work-out
- Greater strategic clarity and planning
We help you bring out the EQ qualities you wish to focus on and join the dots so you know how to be your best
Executive coaching process
Executive coaching is a relationship. What works best for you is down to your preferences and how much you wish to learn from your coaching experience. Emotionally intelligent coaching is driven by and so tailored to, your needs and the way you work best. It’s naturally self-directed and holistic.
7 Steps to EQ coaching process; We
- review where you are, your needs, issues and context and assess your detailed Emotional Intelligence (EQ) skills
- build rapport and trust with you – The ‘coaching relationship’
- listen very carefully to you - understand what’s important to you to help build your
self-belief, purpose and motivation
- ask you powerful open questions to 'enable your resourcefulness'
- pin-point your needs and options
- model and build positive behaviours and outcomes around your needs and issues
- structure and support your development plan towards specific goals and competencies of your choosing
We like to be transparent about our coaching process to encourage clients to learn coaching skills themselves. We believe great managers need to be great coaches as well so we highly recommend coaching skills training e.g. leadership coaching and Coaching for leaders programmes
Executive coaching styles to fit your needs
Our executive coaches are focussed on bringing out your best and fit the coaching style to your needs. Coaching relationships are personal and can differ depending on needs, context and the relationship. For instance you may prefer a more directive approach depending on how much and in what way you wish to be supported and encouraged. Directive coaching can feel more dynamic and push you but it may not allow you to learn the most from your experience or take maximum responsibility in the long run. The coaching style may also affect the amount and type of contact between sessions. Generally weekly sessions strike the right balance.
EQ coaching tools
- Take an EQ assessment e.g. EQ-i 2.0 or The Advanced Relationship Test (A.R.T.).
EQ tests provide an insightful kick-start that assess your strengths, development areas and what you most need to work on; a sample Advanced Relationship Test profile is shown here.
- Write down key scenarios of your life and work. This key component to finding what you need to develop also builds commitment to your action plan. I strongly encourage writing things down, always, not simply to think about things. Writing an emotion’s journal, for instance, helps emotional clarity, expressive ability and clarifies what’s happening in your life and work. Neuro-science now proves that this helps calm the mind (a process called ‘affect labelling’).
- Learn as you go. Some people are keen to learn about the coaching process and concepts of EQ as sign-posts along their development journey. This builds long-term understanding of their development programme which increases learning, self-management and long-term commitment to change.
- You and I working together as a team to an agreed process. Keeping a comprehensive coaching plan means that progress can be accurately agreed, monitored and helps keep you motivated. We uncover and model ‘what good looks like’ for you through work and life scenarios. We model ideal interactions and behaviours.
EQ coaching is a thorough tactical work-out to make the best of opportunities in the moment but also allows you to step back to strategically plan how to make the most of your future.
What's the difference between executive coaching and therapy?
Executive coaching is based around what you want to achieve. It is not ‘issue-focussed’ as in therapeutic ways of working although issues or blocks are commonly uncovered in the process. Executive coaching is based on the premise that you are able to move forward with the support of a great coach. If a client has distinct difficulties moving forward, the coach may refer them on for additional help. Mindfulness, Cognitive Behaviour therapy and therapeutic support are examples.
Executive coaching logistics
Coaching sessions usually last from 60 to 120 minutes. For optimal working and value it’s recommended (though not essential) to commit to at least 4 sessions initially over a 4-10 week period. Intervals of 10 days to 2 weeks is ideal to maintain the dynamic nature of coaching. Executive coaching usually occurs face-to-face (occasionally by phone (skype)) in a neutral or discreet location by mutual agreement. We're based in London and work mainly in the United Kingdom and Europe but occasionally further afield.
We understand that appointments can change - whilst we try and be flexible there is a minimum 48 hours’ notice required to change or cancel sessions, without which full charge is due.
The entire process and the EQ assessments are undertaken in total confidence and trust. The ability of the coach to help you achieve great things rests on these - openness, honesty and transparency. At all times you, as the client, should feel respected and supported and safe in the knowledge that all information is confidential..
Working in all these ways your potential is far greater than you can imagine